Home Safety Program
Global Health’s Home Safety Program is designed to identify hazards, mitigate the risk of falls, and ensure the overall safety of seniors in their home. Our program begins with a visit to your home and using a checklist we visually inspect the bedroom, bathroom, living room, hallway, kitchen, laundry room, basement, garage, entrances and yard.
We will suggest things that should be moved for easier access, or suggest things to be removed to avoid tripping, and we will identify any adjustment or modifications that need to be made to make your home safe.
Call us today to find out more about our Home Safety Program and Fall Prevention, at 1-800-728-0444. We can also oversee any installations or modifications that will be needed based upon the Home Safety Checklist.
Simple adjustments don’t require a lot of money but can make a big difference. There are many things that you can do yourself that don’t cost a lot of money. Things like:
- Add textured, no-slip strips in the bathtub and shower
- Install plug-in motion sensor lights to light up the way to the bathroom at night
- Apply nonslip wax on floors
- Place a waterproof seat or chair in the shower
- Put nonskid treads on steps
- Remove throw rugs or area carpets
- Replace standard doorknobs with lever handles
- Use rubber-backed bathmats
Some modifications often require professional help :
- Alter the shower for walk-in rather than step-over entry
- Replace toilet with a raised or high-profile toilet
- Create zero-threshold entryways
- Eliminating or smoothing out differences in floor height from one surface
- to another
- Move light switches for easy reach from a wheelchair or bed
- Widen doorways and hallways