Choose a home care agency
Trying to find a provider or service that is right for you or your loved one can be overwhelming. That’s why we’ve put together a list of questions you can ask potential providers as well as people who have had experience with this provider. This information will help you find the provider or service that is best for you or your loved one.
Questions to ask:
- How many years of service does the provider have?
- Does it have information that clearly describes the services it provides, eligibility requirements, costs and payment options?
- How are providers or other staff selected and trained? Are employees protected and bonded?
- Who assesses the client’s needs? Are they nurses or therapists? Are the client’s health professionals and family consulted about the care? Are they consulted about changes to the care plan?
- Is client care documented with the duties of each caregiver? Are copies of the plan of care distributed to family and healthcare professionals, including updated copies?
- Are supervisors designated to monitor client care to ensure the safety and quality of care? If so, how often does the supervisor show up? If there is a problem, who does the client or their family contact? How are reported or observed issues handled?
- How are invoicing and payment made? Are point-to-point financial statements provided? Are the financial aspects explained in detail to the client and his family?
- How are emergency situations handled? Are health care providers available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
- How are privacy issues handled?